Metal architecture is all around us: it’s used to make roofs, gutter systems and is growing in popularity for wall applications in commercial and residential buildings. Whether you work in the metal construction industry, are deciding whether to use of exterior wall panels in your home or business, or just looking for research material, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the basics of metal wall panels before you make any final decisions or purchases.
Uses for Metal Wall Panels
One of the more popular metals used in commercial construction is steel, but wall panels can be made from a variety of materials, including:
- Stainless steel
While it wasn’t until the 19th century that steel frames started being used more in the construction industry, today using metals in all types of construction is extremely popular. It is used in a wide number of settings including commercial, residential and industrial.
Advantages of Using Metal Wall Panels
Why would someone want to use metal wall panels instead of other common materials such as vinyl, brick, stone, or wood? Here are some of the benefits for using metal wall panels over other types, and why they might be better than using traditional wall systems:
- Visually appealing – Metal wall panels have beautiful appearances for both interior and exterior applications on commercial or residential buildings. They come in a wide variety of colors, have shiny or matte finishes, and can be shaped and formed into different patterns. The diverse nature of metal wall panels makes them extremely easy for architects and interior designers to use in their projects.
- Durability – Structures made from metal materials hold up well under normal wear and tear, so it’s no surprise that metal wall panels would do the same. They don’t dent or ding easily, compared to vinyl panels or wood, and can stay beautiful for years. Most metal wall panels also require minimal maintenance after installation.
- Lower costs on installation and maintenance – If you’re looking to purchase metal wall panels for your home, business, or contracted project, you might be happy to know that they have relatively low installation and maintenance costs. Because they are more lightweight than other heavier materials like brick or granite, they can be installed quicker and don’t require as much support structure.
- Fireproof and Rain Screen – When building or designing exterior walls, you’ll need to worry about the elements and how they could affect the materials you are working with. Metal walls can act as barriers to fire, helping to prevent spreading and keeping other areas cool if a fire should occur. They also keep water from getting inside of the building, preventing mold or decay from destroying the structure’s integrity.
- Environmentally and eco-friendly – Metal walls are considered to be eco-friendly and sustainable materials to use in building construction. They can also help with reducing energy consumption. Another advantage of using metal is that it can be recycled, and still keep its physical properties.