The History of Croydon, Victoria, Australia

Croydon is a area in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia positioned roughly 28 km east of Melbourne's Central Business District. It has a populace of just about 27,000 individuals. The property which became Croydon was initially used during the 1840’s by settlers for grazing of farm animals. The very first road in the location was labeled Sawmill road due to a sawmill nearby. Later it was changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was altered as to what it is identified these days as Mt Dandenong Road. The area itself was first known as White Flats as the place was heavily populated by a coarse silvery-white grass. The naming of Croydon was presented to it through the Lacey family whom originated in Essx, England who called it after the Croydon in the UK which was Mrs. Lacey's hometown. Near the present Main St shopping precinct is a street called after the Lacey family.

Parcels of property in the region were initially mapped in 1868 and also the place was initially formally habituated with the region emphasizing the farming of sheep, beef and dairy. There have been also some sawmills established. Next, there have been orchards which incorporated apples, cherries, pears, peaches along with plums that flourished. A number of the existing street names in and around Croydon now mirror that early development. In 1874 Cobb & Co started a service using horses and carts to the area. A rail track to the location was opened up on 1 December 1882 and the train station was referred to as Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte which was misleading as that location would be a horse and coach ride 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it was redubbed to become called the Croydon railway station. From the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish developed his home and started a few other businesses which integrated a general shop, news agency, butchers store along with a hotel. He also founded several orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was launched on 1 December 1883. The close by Nelson's Hill Post Office opened in 1902 and it was later relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall had been constructed. Croydon was finally proclaimed and gazetted being a city in 1912.

In 1920 a Monday marketplace was started in Croydon which included livestock, chickens, other birds and other small animals. It became a known landmark in the community and a favorite meeting place for locals from neighbouring suburbs before the site was redeveloped in the 1980s. It was finally closed down in 2012. For local government purposes, Croydon was at first a part of what was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a request was registered by authorities for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and be its very own overseeing organization. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and was announced as a City in 1971. Later on, it was combined, together with the City of Ringwood being the City of Maroondah in 1994. Today, the Main Street of Croydon is a thriving area hub with nearly 200 traders.